First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Tue 19 March The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Beckford (50')
  • Hallard (76')
  • Perry (86')
Ashford Utd

Goalkeeper Fin Holter, who made some terrific saves and kept his first clean sheet for the Hillians, was presented with the Man of the Match award by Tom Welfare from match sponsors LRG Group.

Burgess Hill Town returned to winning ways with an excellent 3-0 victory over Ashford United at the HomeCall Carpets Stadium in a match sponsored by LRG Group.

Manager Gary Mansell made four changes with new experienced signing Jake Goodman going straight into the Hillians defence in place of the unavailable Nico Jones. Reggie Ward, Reece Hallard and Jay Beckford also came into the starting line up replacing Marcus Allen, Harry Lawson and Tahjae Anderson.

The Hillians had early shouts for a penalty on four minutes as Dan Perry was brought down in the box but the appeals were waived away. The visitors had their first chance on 13 minutes as they broke down the wing and crossed to a forward in the middle but his final product went well over.

At the other end Hallard’s crossed for Perry, who took a brilliant touch in the box, took it past 2 Ashford defenders but his shot was deflected out for a corner. Hallard saw his header from a corner go over.

Ashford saw a dangerous attack quickly broken down by Olly Hamstead whilst Fin Holter made a good save with his legs to deny Noah Carney and there was a big chance for the Nuts and Bolts, as the Hill were forced to clear a shot off the line which went out for a throw.

Both sides had a chance each before time as Perry received the ball in a dangerous area but a dodgy bobble sees his shot go wide and minutes later a long range shot was brilliantly saved by Holter as the sides went in level.

The Hillians took the lead five minutes into the second half in slightly controversial style. A ball down the right by Hallard towards Lewis Taylor was left by the veteran midfielder as he was in an off side position but Perry went for the ball and deserves credit for playing to the whistle. He crossed for Beckford who headed home via a deflection for his first Hillians goal.

Hallard nearly made it two but his effort went just wide and at the other end Carney was denied by Holter who made another excellent save.

With 20 minutes remaining Carney saw another effort saved but the ball fell nicely to Harvey Brand who’s low shot was cleared off the line by Hamstead and the ball eventually ended up in the hands of Holter.

The Hillians lead was doubled on 76 minutes as some brilliant work from Beckford saw him get a shot on target which was saved by the Ashford No. 1, Christoper Lewington, however the deflection reached Hallard who smashes it into the back of the net.

Robbie Rees smashed the cross bar with an effort following a good move before the Hillians wrapped up victory with 4 minutes remaining.

Yet again it was brilliant work from Beckford and he got the ball into the middle of the box for Perry who smashed it home with a low shot.

The Hillians saw the last few minutes out to record a first win since the end of January and will now turn their attention to Saturday’s short trip to East Grinstead Town.