The Official Website of Burgess Hill Town Football Club - Members of the Bostik League Premier Division

  • Saturday 11th March 2017
  • Bostik Premier League
4 Billericay Town


Hill Beaten By Billericay

Sourced via

Burgess Hill Town were beaten 4-0 away to Billericay Town on Saturday. Ian Chapman chose to make several changes from the 5-1 victory in midweek, recalling Jack Brivio, Guy Boulton, Leon Redwood and James Shaw to the side.

The Hillians best moment came midway through the half as a corner from the left-hand side was headed towards goal by Brivio but new signing Paul Konchesky was alert to clear the danger.

Billericay were getting stronger and Taaffe had another chance to give them the lead. This time his powerful shot was on target but the visitors’ debutant goalkeeper James Shaw got down well to make a fine save. Shaw did even better moments later as he blocked a close-range Bricknell effort and then stood up to parry away Johnson’s follow-up attempt. He could only watch as Ellul planted Johnson’s free-kick onto the post and was fortunate not to concede an own goal as the rebound hit him but was diverted away from the goal.

The Hillians had done well to evade the Billericay pressure and go in at half-time level.

Early on in the second-half, Swaine met Konchesky’s free-kick with a good header but again Shaw was equal to it before Krasniqi’s long throw caused panic in the Hill defence before the ball was hoofed to safety. A Billericay goal was coming and it duly arrived after 54 minutes. Sprague’s corner was recycled into the danger zone by Ellul and Swaine was on hand to nod the ball in at the back post. Swaine almost doubled his tally five minutes later with a spectacular overhead kick following a Sprague corner but Shaw managed to deflect the ball over the bar.

Billericay’s second came from another Sprague corner. Ellul again kept the ball alive and this time it fell to Bricknell who rifled it home from close range. The Blues put the game beyond The Hillians just two minutes later. A long throw from Krasniqi was only half-cleared and it fell to Swaine on the edge of the box who blasted the ball high into the net with a superb left-foot volley.

Billericay scored their fourth goal in a blistering 14-minute spell after 68 minutes as McLeod’s cross from the right was again only half-cleared. Bricknell collected the pieces on the edge of the box and arrowed his shot into the bottom corner giving Shaw no chance.

It was a disappointing result given Hill’s excellent performance midweek. Nevertheless, Ian Chapman will be hoping his side can bounce back when his side are at home on Tuesday night to 2nd place Bognor Regis Town, kick-off 7.30 pm.