First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Tue 16 April The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Allen (87')
Sheppey Utd

The Hillians were made to rue missed chances in the first half as a clinical Sheppey United took the three points home with them following a 2-1 win in a match sponsored by LRG Group

Injuries to Reggie Ward and Conrad Honore meant manager Gary Mansell was forced into changes with Zack Lawrence and Noah Hoffman coming into the starting XI whilst a third change saw Tahjae Anderson come in for Lewis Taylor. Mansell also included another member of this seasons impressive U18 side with Damien Theodore being named on the bench.

Hill started the game brightly and visiting keeper Aidan Prall was called into action just two minutes in as Kieran Rowe burst through and found Noah Hoffman but Prall was equall to his effort. Soon after Reece Hallard flashed a ball across the face of goal and Tahjae Anderson flew in at the far post but it was just inches ahead of him.

On 13 minutes Hillians bright start continued as Hallard kept a corner alive and played a great cross into Anderson who acrobatically volleys it and it cannons off the post. Minutes later Harry Lawson wins a free kick wide right, it’s swung in by Rowe and finds skipper Marcus Allen but he fires wide off balance.

It wasn’t until the 39th minute until the visitors had their first attempt on goal but Fin Holter comfortably saved a long range effort.

Just before half time the Hillians had two fantastic chances to take a deserved lead. Firstly Hallard set away down the right, Prall comes charging out, then stops and is in no man’s land, Hallard chips him from way out on the right and it drops agonisingly past the post and then straight after Jay Beckford skins his man with ease, flashes a cross across the box, it’s somehow missed by everyone and then comes to Hallard who smashes over as the half somehow ended goalless despite the number of Hillians chances.

Those missed chances came back to haunt the Hillians as seven minutes into the second half Sheppey took the lead as a deflected strike from the edge of the box by Jacob Lambert wrong-foots everyone and flies into the net.

Hill pressed for an equaliser and Beckford threatened again as he burst down the left and fired one that arrows inches away but a minute later the clinical visitors doubled their lead with a great individual goal from Lambert as he dances past us and then smacks it into the bottom corner for his second of the night.

Hallard again went close but he put his header wide before he and Anderson were replaced by Alex Brewer and Marcel Powell as Mansell made a double change. Soon after that player/assistant Lewis Taylor came on for Zack Lawrence.

It really wasn’t the Hillians night in front of goal as the woodwork was smashed for the second time of the night. This time Kieran Rowe thundered a strike that beat everyone but cannoned off the bar and then Prall denied sub Brewer with a save from point blank range.

With three minutes remaining the Hillians halved the deficit as they finally put the ball in the back of the net courtesy of skipper Marcus Allen. Hoffman kept a corner alive and Sheppey failed to mark Marcus Allen who is free to sweep home.

Hill almost equalised in injury time as Rowe forces a save before Brewer smashes over then right at the death Allen almost equalises with the last kick of the game but it lands on the roof of the net.

In the end Allen’s goal only turned out to be a consolation as the Hillians were unable to find a deserved equaliser which was harsh on the Hill.