First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 30 March Park View Road
Erith & Belvedere
Burgess Hill Town
  • Box (32')
  • Own Goal (69')

A second half own goal saw the Hillians draw 2-2 with relegation threatened Erith & Belvedere on Saturday.

Manager Gary Mansell made three changes from the 5-1 win over East Grinstead last weekend with Nico Jones, Reggie Ward and Conrad Honore coming in for Marcus Allen, Olly Hamstead and the departed Ollie Downs.

The Hillians got off to the worst possible start as the hosts opened the scoring within 30 seconds as a ball out wide was crossed in for Matt Neary to give Erith a dream start.

The Hillians had the ball in the net after four minutes but was quite rightly ruled out for offside. Beckford won the corner and from that set piece Dan Perry headed home but the linesman raised his flag.

Erith continued their bright start to the match and Charles Etumnu smashed wide from 20 yards. At the other end on 20 minutes the Hillians improved and Kieran Rowe charged forward and found Perry who’s effort was turned over by a Dere defender for a corner. Ward whipped it in and it was deflected into the path of Perry who’s header was saved by Jordan Gillmore.

The Hillians hit the crossbar on the half hour mark as Reece Hallard’s header hit the woodwork and two minutes later the Hill got themselves on level terms.

Perry won a free kick on the edge of the box, Rowe rolled it to Hallard who sets it up perfectly for Martyn Box who superbly blasted it around the wall and into the top corner for his second goal in as many games.

The visitors re-took the lead five minutes before half time as a free header across goal was scrambled in on the line by Bill Parkinson and things got worse for the Hill on the stroke of half time as top scorer Perry had to go off injured.

The second half saw a couple of early half chances for the hosts as they looked to increase their lead and at the other end Box’s corner was headed just over by Jones. Moments later Rowe hit an effort wide from 25 yards.

On 63 minutes the Hillians had an appeal for handball turned down but 6 minutes later the visitors again equalised. A good move saw Beckford receive the ball and he fires it across goal for the unfortunate Rob Strachan to tap home for an own goal.

The closing minutes saw the Dere’s have two decent chances but couldn’t find the net as they desperately went in search for a winner in the battle to avoid relegation. Fin Holter made a good save and the danger was scrambled clear and soon after that en effort flew well over.

Hillians now turn their attention to a big Bank Holiday derby as we welcome Three Bridges to the HomeCall Carpets Community Stadium. 3pm kick off.