First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 23 March East Court
East Grinstead Town
Burgess Hill Town
  • Perry (33', 42')
  • Box (35')
  • Hallard (54')
  • Honore (90')

Burgess Hill Town matched their biggest win of the season with a 5-1 thumping of East Grinstead at East Court to make it two wins in a row.

Gary Mansell made two changes from the midweek victory over Ashford United with Harry Lawson coming in for Lewis Taylor and skipper Marcus Allen returning in place for Reggie Ward.

The game kicked off 20 minutes late due to a March official getting stuck on a train but the Hillians didn’t waste anytime as they went close just three minutes in. A cross from the left is inches ahead of Reece Hallard, it gets recycled and played to Hallard who turns and lashes just wide from 10 yards.

On 12 minutes the hosts were awarded a penalty when a Grinstead forward rounded Fin Holter, there was slight contact, but he stayed on his feet, had his shot, missed it and then the referee pulled it back for the penalty.  Kiye Martin stepped up to score for Grinstead but the referee ordered it be retaken and the second attempt was saved by Holter to keep the game at 0-0.

On 31 minutes a Hillians corner comes in, it’s cleared as far as Allen at the back post but he scoops it just over and a minute later Perry makes a chance out of nothing but probably should set it to Hallard, he doesn’t and shoots and it’s saved by Matte Pierson.

A minute on from that and the Hillians were ahead. It was brilliant from Hallard, he absolutely skins the LB and sticks a beautiful ball in that Perry nods in.

The lead was doubled straight away from a brilliant counter attack. Harry Lawson wins it superbly, he finds Perry who plays in Martyn Box who beats the offside traps and slots it past the goalkeeper.

Minutes before half time and the Hill were absolutely flying. Jay Beckford flies down the left and roasts the full back, he squares for Perry who can’t miss to give the Hillians a 3 goal lead.

On the stroke of half time the Hillians nearly added a fourth as a great move down the left, ended with AFC Wimbledon youngster Ollie Downs forcing Pierson to make a smart low save.

Early in the second half Perry nearly grabbed his hat-trick as Kieran Rowe bursts down the right and picks out Perry but his volley is saved by Pierson.

Grinstead had a couple of half chances, neither really testing Holter but the game was all but over as the Hillians added a fourth on 53 minutes. Hallard cuts in from the right, his shot takes a deflection and flies over Pierson.

The Wasps pulled one back on 63 minutes through sub Oluremi Onabanjo.

Perry was again denied his hattrick, but it’s a good save by Pierson and the rebound wouldn’t fall for Hallard to score.

Beckford deserved a goal and he nearly got it when he wriggled his way into the area and forces Pierson into get another save.

Hillians added a deserved fifth in the third minute of injury time through sub Conrad Honore to complete a dominant performance by the Hillians.

The win sees us move up to 12th with seven games remaining and send the large number of travelling Hill supporters home happy.