First Team
Sussex Senior Cup Tue 9 January The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Hallard (48', 80')
2 (3)
Steyning Town
2 (5)
2-2 (3-5 pens)

Burgess Hill Town exited this seasons Sussex Transport Senior Cup at the Quarter Final stage losing 5-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw.

In an even opening it was the Hillians who had the first meaningful chance as Noah Hoffman cut inside but shot just wide of the post and soon after Reece Hallard had an effort blocked.

It was Steyning who took the lead on 31 minutes when Nathan Cooper fired in a free kick which Mark Goldston received and found Harry Shooman who r apped home.

Steyning continued to attack looking to double their lead with Goldston having an effort from the edge of the box go just wide and he then drew a good reflex save from Taylor Seymour soon after.

Between those chances a nice move from Hill sent Joe Overy in the down the left, his shot is blocked and it falls to Alex Brewer who’s overhead kick is comfortable for the Barrowman’s goalkeeper.

Within three minutes of the second half the Hillians drew level as Reece Hallard shot from distance, catching Steyning keeper Lucas Szendela-Goetzke somewhat cold, and despite his best efforts to stop the shot going in, the ball bounced off the crossbar and down into the net.

Four minutes later Hill had a chance to take the lead as Overy cut inside from the left, dances past a lot of Steyning defenders but his shot goes agonisingly wide.

Seymour was called back into action saving from former Hill man Tom Chalaye who was one-on-one with Seymour but the Hillians keeper made the save.

Sub Marcel Powell was slipped through on goal after 71 minutes but he pulls his left footed attempt wide and after being on the pitch just five minutes had to be replaced after picking up a knock with top scorer Dan Perry entering the action.

With just over ten minutes remaining Hallard got his second of the game as he shot first time from Hoffman’s corner and the ball flew into the corner of the net.

With time running out Shooman got his second of the game as he poked the ball home after a scramble to send the tie to a penalty shootout.

After three penalties each, all scored, the Hillians needed to score to answer Steyning’s converted fourth but Reggie Ward’s shot hit the bar and went over. That led to Shooman to step up and score the winning penalty to send Steyning into the Semi-Final of the Sussex Transport Senior Cup where they will play Horsham.