First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 16 December Greatness Park
Sevenoaks Town
Burgess Hill Town
  • Perry (14')
  • Brewer (60')
  • Budd (69')

New Burgess Hill Town FC manager Gary Mansell was seconds away from earning three points in his first game in charge but there were plenty of positives to take away from Sevenoaks as the Hillians drew 3-3 in Kent.

Hill had an early chance to take the lead when Alex Brewer won the ball on the edge of the Oaks box and looked to square for Dan Perry to tap in but the ball was a fraction ahead of him.

Hill continued their good start and after 10 minutes the Hillians forced another corner which Marcus Allen won at the far post, it’s then scrambled clear to Darren Budd who fired it back in to Perry who couldn’t quite control it and find another yellow. 

Oaks had their first chance on 13 minutes as ex-Crystal Palace man Kieron Cadogan fired wide from the edge of the box but a minute later there was another chance and a goal at the other end as the Hillians deservedly took the lead.

Firstly Reggie Ward had a chance to open the scoring then Perry did just that he was played in one on one and he nutmegs Daniel Colmer to give the Hillians the lead.

The Oaks responded and saw a cross divert off a Hillians defender and hit the bar and the bar was struck again but at the other end as the lively Brewer was slipped in by Budd and his cross was tipped onto the bar by Colmer. From the resulting corner Marcel Powell played it to Budd at the far post but he headed over.

Out of nowhere though the Oaks levelled 10 minutes before half time as the ball was squared to Dan Bennett to tuck home into an empty net.

Perry had another chance after good work by Powell and Mo Jammeh but it was the hosts who finished the half stronger and had a good effort go wide just before the break.

The Oaks nearly caught the Hillians out on 56 minutes a great run down the right by Fumnaya Shomotun resulted in a great cross to Cadogan who should have scored but headed wide.

It was the Hillians who took the lead for the second time as striker Alex Brewer netted his first senior goal for the Club. Kieran Rowe slipped him in on the right and he arrowed a shot low and hard across the box and into the bottom corner.

On 69 minutes the lead was extended through veteran Budd as another good move this time ended with the midfielder smashing home.

Two minutes later though Oaks got right back into the game as they made it 3-2 when Rowan Libburd scored.

With the clock running down Rowe found Powell and his cross nearly caught out Colmer and sneak in at the back post and sub Harry Lawson found Dan Perry but he smashed over. Lawson, who had impressed since coming on, nearly wrapped the game up as he burst through but his effort was saved.

In the sixth minute of stoppage time it was heartbreak for the Hillians as the Oaks equalised with practically the last kick of the game as Dan Carr tapped home.

It was harsh on the Hilians but Mansell will take away a lot of positives from the performance and look to build on the point earned in his first match as manager.