First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 11 November The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • O’Toole (74')
  • Perry (35', 83')
Chichester City

Burgess Hill Town’s poor recent form against Chichester City continued as our West Sussex rivals left the HomeCall Carpets Community Stadium with all three points.

Manager Dean Cox started new signing Luke Glover whilst Kieron Pamment returned from injury in place of Marcel Powell. Zack Lawrence came in for Reggie Ward who had a knock.  

Before kick off there was a two minute silence impeccably observed and wreaths laid for Remembrance Day as the Burgess Hill branch of the Royal British Legion joined both Club’s on the pitch. 

The Hillians had the worst possible start as City raced into a two goal lead in the first eight minutes. Glover had already made a fantastic save from a bullet header by Joe Clark before Josh Clack opened the scoring as he scrambled the ball home from a corner. Three minutes later Clack was again on the scoresheet as he struck home.

Hill’s first real chance after fifteen minutes as Rob O’Toole glanced Pamment’s free kick just wide but the majority of the action was at the other end as Chichester nearly made it three as Steve Hutchings raced through and dinked his effort over Glover but the ball rolled inches wide. 

Clack again went close, this time shooting wide to deny him a hat-trick in the opening 20 minutes.

Hillians did go close to pulling one back as Kieran Magee denied Dan Perry and the loose ball fell to Pamment whose effort was blocked tremendously by Rob Hutchings. 

The visitors continued to have chances and should have extended their lead as Kaleem Haitham and Steve Hutchings both had free headers miss the target.

Chichester would have been disappointed to let the Hillians back into the game as Rob Hutchings underhit his back pass and Perry pounced to score with a simple finish. 

Two minutes before half time though City restored their two goal lead as Haitham netted with a lovely finish. 

There was more action before the referee blew for half time as O’Toole hit the post sliding in from Kieran Rowe’s pass but the visitors went in deservedly leading 3-1.

Cox made two changes at half time bringing on Marcel Powell and Finn Daniels-Yeoman.

Glover made a good save from Hutchings and at the other end on 60 minutes Powell whipped a ball in which Mo Jammeh got his head on but it was comfortable for Magee.

On 66 minutes the visitors got their fourth as Ethan Pritchard smashed the ball home with a low effort. 

The Hillians were given a lifeline on 74 minutes as Perry was fouled in the box and top scorer O’Toole netted the penalty.

Sub Darren Budd then saw his effort blocked on the line by Ryan Davidson and then the comeback looked to be really on as the Hillians pulled it back to 4-3 as a slip saw O’Toole in and he pulled the ball back for Perry to tap home from close range.

Hill thought they had drawn level with three minutes remaining as skipper Marcus Allen had the ball in the net with a header, the ground erupted only for the linesman to flag for what appeared to be a harsh offside. 

The visitors did wrap up the victory with nearly the last kick of the game as Ollie Munt scored. 

Hillians now have 10 days off. With no game next Saturday we return to action to face Broadbridge Heath on Tuesday 21st November at home in the Sussex Transport Senior Cup.

Hillians: Luke Glover, Zack Lawrence (Marcel Powell 46), Nic D’Arienzo, Jack Taylor Darren Budd 72), Marcus Allen, Josh Spinks, Rob O’Toole, Kieran Rowe, Dan Perry, Kieron Pamment (Finn Daniels-Yeoman 46), Mo Jammeh. Not used: Curtis Gayler, Joe Overy.