First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 18 December Mayplace Ground
Phoenix Sports
  • Poku (20', 44', 65', 69')
  • Carvell (82')
Burgess Hill Town
  • Chalaye (80')
  • Taylor (84')

Jay Lovett’s side traveled to Crayford full of confidence after a brilliant victory in midweek against Hythe Town. The Hillians started the game brightly with chances coming and going for Tom Chalaye, Hayden Skerry and Lewis Finney. The pitch at the Mayplace ground was very difficult for both teams, an unholy bobble on a Nic D’Arienzo back pass almost put Taylor Seymour in all kinds of trouble but he just managed to scramble it away. The opening 20 minutes really were controlled by the Hillians, the duo of Chalaye and Finney passing up some more good chances to open the scoring which would come back and bite us. Down the other Taylor Seymour was forced into a good save for the first time. Completely against the run of play, the hosts took the lead. The defending left a lot to be desired, a routine long ball was allowed to bounce and Taylor Seymour was beaten to the ball by Calvin Poku who headed it past him and smashed home into an empty net. Phoenix almost doubled the lead soon after but Seymour denied them this time before the Hill somehow didn’t equalise. A Pat Harding corner was met by an unmarked Tom Chalaye, who’s header was tipped onto the bar, the ball came back out to Pat who’s second cross fell to Lewis Finney who smashed horribly over. At the worst possible time, the Hill gave away a second a goal. A cross from the right caused confusion between Spinks and Seymour, with Chaka Barnett striking against the bar and Calvin Poku eventually poking the ball in from close range.

HT: 2-0.

The Hillians were probably in shock after being in command of the first half but gifting the hosts a 2 goal lead. The half began with a good chance for Martyn Box, who saw his effort from a corner well saved. Phoenix always knew they could try and pick us off on the counter second half and they almost added a third in exact fashion but pulled a good chance wide. The Sports did put the game out of sight in the 65th minute. Christmas came a week a early for Poku as we gifted him a third to give the hosts what looked like an unassailable lead. It got worse 4 minutes later as that man Poku grabbed his, and the hosts fourth. The last 10 minutes saw a flurry of 3 more goals, firstly Tom Chalaye kept up his impressive form volleying home at the back post. Unfortunately straight from kick off, a Taylor Seymour clearance fell straight to the feet of Steve Carvell who passed into the unguarded net. The goals didn’t stop there as Lewis Taylor stroked home a beautiful half volley from 18 yards out to mark the end of an eventful afternoon to say the least.

FT: 5-2.

An afternoon to forget for Jay Lovett’s men.

Next up, we host Haywards Heath Town at the More Than Tyres Stadium on the December 27th.