First Team
Velocity Trophy Round 2 Tue 30 November Homelands
Ashford Utd
  • Ratti (35')
  • Wisson (45')
Burgess Hill Town
  • Skerry (31')

Jay Lovett’s men fought to the bitter end but it wasn’t to be in the Isthmian League Velocity Trophy this year. Both sides made changes from the weekend but it was the hosts who started the stronger and they almost took the lead when former Hull City forward Johan Ter Horst tucked home – but to his dismay the linesman flag came to the Hillians rescue. The opening exchanges were very much controlled by the Nuts and Bolts, getting plenty of shots off. Another good chance came and went when a delicious ball was whipped in to Gary Lockyer who sliced thin air while attempting a shot. With half an hour gone, our first attempt led to a goal. It was fantastic from Hayden Skerry to win the ball and drive at the heart of the defence, skipping by one and smashing in a left footed effort which was too hot for McCarthy to keep out. That goal really got the Hill’s tail up, Trey Masikini almost doubled the lead skipping past his man with ease and getting to the box before his goalbound shot was brilliantly blocked. Unfortunately, Ashford equalised soon after. Roberto Ratti took aim from 25 yards and nestled it into the top corner to draw the home side level. Jay Lovett’s troops were soon back on the attack after the goal looking to restore the lead, Charlie Kelly fired a left footed attempt wide after some great work to win the ball back in midfield. Right on the stroke of half-time, Ashford took the lead. A cross from the right led to a mix up at the back and the ball fell kindly to Josh Wisson to tap in to the empty net.

HT: 2-1.

The second half was a very tame affair, Ashford controlled a lot of the ball trying to grind out a win and limiting us to very few opportunities. Masikini tried to get us back on level terms when he cut inside but fired straight at McCarthy. Leon Moore was next to try his luck but he fired wide after cutting inside as the Hill tried to build up some kind of momentum. Ashford spurned 2 good chances to put the tie to bed, with the clock continuing to tick away. Unfortunately for the Hill the last chance fell to the Nuts and Bolts but again they spurned it and held on to progress into the next round.

FT: 2-1.

Not to be for our young Hillians side against a very strong Ashford United outfit – good luck to the Nuts and Bolts in the next round.

Next up, we’re back to league action on Saturday afternoon when we host Corinthian at the More Than Tyres Stadium.