First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Tue 9 November The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Taylor (72')
Faversham Town

Jay Lovett’s men made it 5 league games unbeaten as hard work and perseverance payed off on a mild November evening at the More Than Tyres Stadium. It was actually the visitors who started the brighter of the two teams, on the front foot and penning the Hill back in the opening exchanges without having a clear cut chance on goal. Burgess Hill created the first chance of the game, some intricate footwork in the midfield saw Michael Uwezu pick the ball up, he fended off his man and took aim from 20 yards, his strike got a big deflection and Luke Watkins had to react sharply to tip the ball over the crossbar. Faversham’s best chance of the opening 20 minutes came via a Hillians error. A long punt down field from keeper Watkins saw Nic D’Arienzo miss his clearance, this allowed Emmanuel Oluwasemo to turn Josh Spinks and find himself in on goal but Taylor Seymour was out like a flash to make a fantastic point blank save. The game continued to flow from end to end with openings appearing for both sides, the Hill’s next chance came via a corner, D’Arienzo saw his effort blocked before Lewis Finney tried to place one into the postage stamp – but his effort was headed off the line. Back came Faversham, this match had a basketball style feel to it with it being so back and forth, Eddie Allsopp tried to catch Seymour off his line from the halfway line but he didn’t succeed. The visitors were getting some joy down both flanks and a dangerous cross in from the right saw Oluwasemo get on the end of it but his attempt on the stretch went into the side netting. Michael Uwezu was keen to add another goal to his tally this season, as he won the ball back high and fired a fierce low shot which just skimmed inches wide of Watkins far post. The Hill were starting to get on top as the first half wore on, a mistake by the Faversham right back Jones allowed Pat Harding to cross to the back post where 3 greens were steaming in but the ball evaded all of them somehow. Arguably the Hillians best chance of the half came right at the end. A trademark Reggie Ward run into the area set up Max Miller, his low shot was saved but the ball was kept alive thanks to Michael Uwezu, it fell nicely for Lewis Finney but his effort through a crowd of players was kept out by Luke Watkins fingertips.

HT: 0-0.

The opening attempt of the second half fell to Hillians skipper Lewis Taylor but his half volley from the edge of the box sailed over the crossbar. Faversham almost caught D’Arienzo napping as Oluwasemo nicked the ball off the defenders toes but as he bared down on goal, Dan Cadman came across and did tremendously to block the attempt. Taylor Seymour was called into action minutes later as a Joe Denny piledriver almost knocked him off his feet but he kept it out and the rebound was scrambled clear. The second 45 wasn’t quite as end to end as the opening exchange but the deadlock was broken in the 72nd minute. Some lovely football between Pat Harding and Michael Uwezu saw the latter crash an effort off the post but the rebound fell kindly for Lewis Taylor to slot through Luke Watkins legs and send the More Than Tyres Stadium into raptures. The Hillians almost killed the game off when a Lewis Finney deflected cross almost fell kindly for Uwezu but some good strong defending prevented him from doubling our lead. As the clock struck 90, Faversham got their one final chance. A corner was whipped to the back stick where the Lilywhites goalkeeper had come forward but fortunately for the Hill, he sent his header harmlessly wide.

FT: 1-0.

A vital victory for the Hillians, which sees us extend our unbeaten league run to 5, as we now sit 2 points off the right half of the table.

Next up, we’re back on the road as we travel to Whitstable Town on Saturday afternoon.