First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 20 November The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Campbell (19')
East Grinstead Town

The Hillians welcomed East Grinstead Town to the More Than Tyres Stadium looking to stretch their unbeaten league run. The Wasps hadn’t found life easy going this season but they made the busier start, with Taylor Seymour having to be on full alert to tip over an early Richard Pingling strike. The first Hill chance came for Michael Campbell, a poor goal kick by Matte Pierson allowed him a sight of goal but he rather rushed his effort when time was on his side. After a quarter of an hour the Hillians were starting to find their stride. Lovely intricate football between Michael Uwezu and Lewis Finney saw the latter take aim from the edge of the box but his low shot skimmed inches past the post. The chances started to come frequently, Uwezu the next to have a go, Grinstead didn’t clear a corner and the Hillians number 9 hit a shot on the turn which had Pierson scrambling but thankfully for him it rolled just wide. When playing away from home, the last thing you want is to gift the opposition a goal. Unfortunately that’s exactly what the Wasps did. There seemed to be little danger as Aiden Lopuhan and Glenn Wilson passed between themselves on the left hand side, Wilson then looked to pass the ball back to Pierson but his pass was far too weak, giving it straight to Michael Campbell who showed fantastic composure to round the hapless Pierson and roll in his first Hillians goal after 19 minutes. It was suddenly a wave of Hill pressure. Lewis Finney has a nack of scoring from set pieces, unfortunately his effort from a free kick was only troublesome for the wall and not the Grinstead keeper. With their tails up from the goal, the Greens were purring, the best move of the half came about down the home sides left, Nic D’Arienzo flashed a teasing ball across the box after making a brilliant run forward and Max Miller was inches away from getting on the end of it at the far post. Another Hill chance came and went, a cross was cleared only as far as Lewis Finney 18 yards out, the ball sat up nicely for him to strike it on the volley but it was straight at Pierson. Towards the back end of the first 45, the visitors did have a chance to pull level, they won a free kick right on the edge of the box, Kie Douglas stepped up but wasted it, firing high and wide. Jay Lovett’s men continued to search for that killer second goal, as Reggie Ward tried to make it happen with a marauding run down the right but his left footed effort was catching practise for Pierson. The final chance of the half came via another Finney free kick but he once again failed to beat the jumping wall.

HT: 1-0.

The second half started how the first finished, with the Hill on top. Lewis Taylor had the first chance of the second half but from a tight angle he couldn’t find a way past a very busy Pierson. The Wasps stopper had to be on his toes as ex East Grinstead hitman Michael Uwezu tried to chip him from the half way line but his attempt veered slightly off target. His next effort was much more finishable, as he was set through on goal but really dallied on it for too long and allowed the visiting Wasps to swarm around him and snuff out the opportunity. With 20 minutes to go the visitors finally woke up offensively and if it wasn’t for Harry Pollard’s clearance off the line they would have levelled proceedings. The second half was really lacking in quality and clear cut chances, the Hill almost put the game out of sight with 5 minutes to go as some fantastic work from Michael Campbell set up Michael Uwezu but again the striker’s effort was an easy one for Pierson. With the game heading into added time, the Wasps almost snatched a last gasp equaliser. A Richard Pingling cross was met acrobatically by Seidou Sanogo but the ball flew harmlessly wide, leaving the Hillians to celebrate a real hard fought victory.

FT: 1-0.

That’s 7 league games unbeaten for Jay Lovett’s side, moving us up in the top half of the table – it’s been a good month!

Our matchday sponsors, George & Gary, awarded the Man of the Match to Hillians centre half Harry Pollard.

Next up, we are back at home on Tuesday night as we welcome Uxbridge in the Velocity Trophy.