First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Tue 5 October Oakwood
VCD Athletic
  • Adesite (12')
  • Splatt (27')
Burgess Hill Town

The Hillians had the first chance of the match as an enterprising run from Michael Uwezu was stopped abruptly by a Vickers defender, right on the edge of the box. Connor Tighe stepped up to take the free kick in trademark fashion and was so unlucky as his effort crashed off the top of the crossbar. Jay Lovett’s side in the opening 10 minutes were controlling the game and knocking the ball around confidently until VCD opened the scoring. There seemed to be no danger as Anthony Adesite let fly from 25 yards but a routine Taylor Seymour save was blundered by the usually reliable Hillians stopper and the ball went through him and into the back of the net. From controlling the opening of the game to being on the back foot as VCD quickly pressed for a second, Seymour this time turning away a Vickers effort safely. The right hand side was proving a fruitful avenue of opportunity for the hosts and they flashed a drive just over the bar from that side minutes later. Scott Kirkwood had an effort deflected which took the sting out of it as the Hillians looked to rally. VCD should of made it 2 as again down the right hand side they got in behind, this time they squared the ball but from 6 yards out Marcus Elliot scuffed his effort wide. It was 2 just moments later. It started with a Burgess Hill corner which Sam Mott punched away and as soon as the hosts picked up the second ball, they countered at pace with great numbers, with the ball eventually being slipped to Jamie Splatt who finished cooly past Seymour. From controlling the possession, the Hillians had found themselves done by 2 sucker punches and went about halving the arrears. Harry Pollard headed over a Connor Tighe free kick before Michael Uwezu fired wide.

HT: 2-0.

It was almost a fantastic start to the second half with Trey Masikini causing havoc down the right and whipping a ball in which Charlie Kelly on debut just couldn’t reach. VCD probably should have done better with a free header from a corner but just moments later the game was made even harder for Lovett’s boys as Scott Kirkwood, already on a yellow card, slid in again unnecessarily and gave the ref no option but to send him off. Sam Mott almost gifted the Hillians a way back into the game as his errand pass went straight to Uwezu but his effort went narrowly wide. VCD almost wrapped the game up in the 66th minute but Seymour produced a good save to deny the Vickers man. The Hillians were trying to salvage something but it was always going to be hard with a man less, Josh Spinks headed straight at Mott from another brilliant Tighe free kick. VCD could of made the scoreline even greater when they shot straight at Seymour with the whole goal to aim at and with virtually the last kick of the game, a Seymour clearance was charged down but somehow Adesite couldn’t roll the ball into the empty net.

FT: 2-0.

Costly mistakes prove just that, costly! We now turn our attention away from league action on Saturday as we welcome Sevenoaks Town to the More Than Tyres Stadium in the FA Trophy!