First Team
FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Sat 4 September The Home Call Carpets Community Stadium
Burgess Hill Town
  • Masikini (47', 61')
Bracknell Town

Jay Lovett’s men were intent on stopping their early season run of defeats as we welcomed Bracknell Town to the More Than Tyres Stadium. It was a slow opening 10 minutes but the Hillians almost sprung the game into life with the opening chance of the match. A raking pass from George Brown was brilliantly flicked on by Martyn Box into the path of Pat Harding who found himself through on goal, but he dragged his left footed effort wide of the upright. 1 chance sparked another as just a minute later, Reggie Ward fired over the bar after one of his trademark bursting runs out of defence. Bracknell’s best chance of the opening 20 minutes fell to Michael Atkinson, some neat play led to the ball getting played to him on the edge of the box but he fizzed the ball over Taylor Seymour’s crossbar. Seymour then had to be alert moments later as a ball into the box was sliced by Harry Pollard and the keeper had to tip it over the bar. As the game progressed Bracknell were seeing more of the ball and the Hill were began playing on the break. On the break is how we fashioned our next chance as some great work from Trey Masikini set up Harding, he beat 2 defenders but just overran it and let the keeper smother the ball. Bracknell’s best chance of the half came right at the end of it, some lovely football led to Tarpey playing in Platt but his effort was extraordinarily saved by Seymours right boot.

HT: 0-0.

It had been the second half of games in which the Hillians had let themselves down this season so Jay Lovett couldn’t of asked for a better start when 2 minutes after the break, Trey Masikini opened the scoring. Jordi Ndozid robbed a Bracknell man in midfield and played in Masikini, he cut onto his left and smashed a rocket which flew into the top corner sending the More Than Tyres Stadium into raptures. Bracknell almost responded immediately in very similar fashion. Atkinson spread the play out wide to Mickel Platt, he cut in from the left and looked to curl one in the top corner but it whistled inches wide with the diving Seymour beaten. On the hour mark the brilliant Masikini doubled our lead. Danny Uchechi did superbly on the left to breeze past 2 men, he played a delightful through ball to Masikini and he finished with ease, slotting the ball through the keepers legs. The game took a sour turn in the 65th minute when Temi Eweka was shown a straight red card for a horrible lunge on Andrew Herring which led to a lengthy stoppage and resulted in Herring being taken to hospital. When the game was restarted some 15 minutes later, it took the Hill sometime to get a foot on the ball, George Brown produced an exquisite last ditch tackle to stop a certain Bracknell goal. Connor Tighe had 2 opportunities to put the icing on the cake as his first effort was very well kept out by a sprawling Whiter before his second went inches over the bar.

FT: 2-0.

A much improved showing from Jay Lovett’s men sees us safely into the hat for the next round of the FA Cup.

We would like to wish Andrew Herring a full and speedy recover following his injury – our thoughts are with him.

Next up, it’s back to league action as we take on Three Bridges at the More Than Tyres Stadium next Saturday.