First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 10 October The Belmont Ground
Whitstable Town
  • Jadama (17')
Burgess Hill Town

Looking to build on Tuesday evening’s victory, the Hillians started off on the front foot, as Max Miller worked himself some space before firing over the crossbar. In the 13th minute, Nathan Cooper passed up a golden opportunity to give Hill the lead, as he failed to get a clear connection following Alex Laing’s testing corner. Alfie Jones was called into action moments later – as he was forced into a fine save to deny Luke Medley. The hosts took the lead in the 17th minute, with Tijan Jadama nodding home following some good work by Medley down the right-hand flank. Dan Eason was forced into a smart save to deny Miller as the Hillians looked for an instant response. Cooper, again, had a great chance to level the scores just before the break – but his header from six yards out fell wide of Eason’s post.

HT 1-0.

Jay Lovett’s troops flew out the traps in the second half, with Laing winning a penalty within just ninety seconds of the restart. He dusted himself off to take the spot-kick but saw his effort parried away by Eason. The Oystermen, buoyed by that penalty save, almost doubled their lead with a terrific strike that, thankfully for the Hillians, cannoned back off the crossbar and out to safety. Eason was again forced into two fine blocks to deny, first, Laing and then, Pat Harding. In the 75th minute, Josh Spinks produced a fine goalline clearance to keep the score at one heading into the final knockings. The Hillians threw the kitchen sink at the hosts, who continued to hold firm to see out the game.

FT 1-0.

Hill huffed and puffed but wasted chances came back to haunt us on another afternoon where you feel Jay Lovett’s side deserved something out of the game.

A big thank you to the terrific cohort of Hillians who made the long trip to support the club.

Next up, it’s a break from league action as we begin our FA Trophy campaign.

Report by Jack Naldrett.