First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 18 January Southwood Stadium
  • Bancroft (9')
  • Treadwell (90')
Burgess Hill Town
  • Miller (32', 35', 78')
  • Smith-Joseph (41')

The first chance of the game fell to an unlikely candidate, as Tolulope Jonah saw his effort cannon back off the post after just eight minutes. A minute later, however, the Hillians found themselves a goal down, after an unfortunate slip by Josh James allowed Toby Bancroft to slot into an empty net. Despite finding themselves behind, the Hillians continued to dominate and rightfully found themselves level, in the 32rd minute, as Max Miller bundled home following Pat Harding’s initial effort. Just three minutes later, the Hillians had the lead; with a delighful through pass from Mason Doughty finding Miller – who slotted home his second of the afternoon. As half-time beckoned, Aaron Smith-Joseph ensured his side took a two-goal advantage in at the break, as he tucked his strike under Charlie Burns and into the back of the net.

The second half started sluggishly for Jay Lovett’s men, and James was called into action imminently – saving well from Kane Rowland. The Hillians were reduced to ten men, in the 56th minute, as Harry Pollard was given his marching orders following a mistimed, last-ditch challenge. James produced another fine stop, twenty minutes from time, denying Rowland once more. In the 78th minute, the game was put to bed, as Max Miller completed his hat-trick – with his deflected strike finding the top corner. The Rams found a consolation in injury time, but it was the Hillians leaving Kent with another juicy three points!

Jay Lovett will have been pleased with another three points on the road, but, for all of their first half dominance, will be disappointed with his side’s second half display.

A huge thank you to every single one of you Hillians who made the trip to deepest Kent for the second successive Saturday! Your support, as always, is massively appreciated.

Next up, we give the Sussex Senior Cup another go!