First Team
Isthmian League South East Division Sat 2 March Meadowbank Stadium
Dorking Wanderers
  • Buchanan (4', 19')
  • Prior (35')
  • Briggs (72')
  • McShane (74')
  • Ray (84')
Burgess Hill Town

Simon Wormull made just the one change to the side which progressed into the Final of the Sussex Senior Cup on Wednesday evening, with Jared Rance replacing Declan Appau.

The Hillians got off to the worst possible start, as after just 4 minutes, Elliot Buchanan’s looping header found its way over James and into the top corner. The Hillians responded well, winning a series of corners, but to no real avail. In the 17th minute, Cadman and Smith-Joseph linking up beautifully, before the latter’s effort was comfortably held by Huk. In the 19th minute, the hosts had a second, as Buchanan doubled his tally following Wilson’s sliced clearance. Just minutes later, James Richmond had a golden opportunity to half the deficit, but headed over from Wilson’s in-swinging corner. Aiden Enver had a shot blocked, in the 34th minute, by Luke Moore, resulting in another Hillians corner – which came to nothing. The hosts broke with pace, winning themselves a free-kick. Taylor’s delivery caused pinball inside the eighteen yard box, with Jason Prior eventually poking past James. The Hillians had matched their opponents in areas of the pitch, with the 3-0 scoreline looking harsh on Wormull’s men.

HT 3-0.

Simon Wormull made two alterations at the break, intorducing Steve Sargent and Tolulope Jonah. In the 51st minute, Buchanan passed up the opportunity to claim the match ball, as his effort canoned wide off the upright. In the 56th minute, Dan Beck must have thought he’d given the Hillians a lifeline, but Huk had other ideas as he clawed the skipper’s strike from distance out of the top corner. The Hillians faithful behind the goal continued in fine voice throughout the second half. In the 72nd minute, Briggs made it four as he finished low across James. Just 2 minutes later, it was five – as McShane capitalised on a terrible defensive mix up. In the 77th minute, Sargent almost gave the HIllians a consolation goal, but his free-kick flew inches wide of the target. In the 84th minute, the Hillians’s misery was compiled as David Ray tucked home from a corner.

FT 6-0.

A difficult afternoon for the Hillians, who would have been under no illusion that this game was always going to be tough.

Once again, a massive thank you to every single one of you Hillians who travelled to Surrey to support the club yesterday – we have to keep believing!

Next up, the Tanners are in town.