First Team
Velocity Trophy Tue 4 September Salters Lane
Faversham Town
  • Miller (80')
Burgess Hill Town
  • Own Goal (47')
  • Harding (67')

On what was a gloomy evening down in Kent, Ian Chapman rang the changes, with Ibrahim Diallo, Sam Fisk, and Connor Tighe the only remaining starters from Saturday’s defeat against Whitehawk.

The Hillians started superbly, playing some fantastic flowing football in the opening exchanges, with Lukas Franzen-Jones pulling the strings. The first chance of the game fell to Pat Harding, on 6 minutes, when Kieron Pamment’s cross found the veteran, who’s header was deflected just wide of the post. It was the Hillians who continued to ask questions of the hosts, as McCollin and Pamment both had efforts blocked, in quick succession. The hosts had their first chance on 16 minutes, as Dean Grant did well to beat the offside trap, but Sam Fisk recovered brilliantly to dispossess the centre forward as he bared down on goal. There were cries for a Hill penalty, on 29 minutes, as Cadman went down in the area, but the referee waved play on. Young Mitchell Bromage showed his ability right on the stroke of half-time, as he bravely claimed Cooper’s deep cross.

HT 0-0.

Whatever Ian Chapman and Simon Wormull said in the dressing room at the break clearly worked, as it took the Hillians just 70 seconds to take the lead – and what a way to take it! Tighe and Pamment linked up well, before Tighe unleashed a venomous volley leaving Overland with absolutely no chance. Overland was called into action 10 minutes later, as he did well to palm Lukas Franzen-Jones’ curling effort off target. Pamment was the next Hillian to test Overland, in the 63rd minute, but the host’s keeper was equal to the low strike. Ben Pope was introduced in the 66th minute, for the extremely hard working Andre McCollin, and within 30 seconds, the Hillians’ lead was doubled. Connor Tighe beat the offside trap before cutting the ball back to Pat Harding, who made no mistake from 6 yards out – nestling his left footed effort into the bottom corner. Ashley Miller gave the home side hope, in the 80th minute, as he scooped the ball over the helpless Bromage, following a defensive error by debutant, Zongo. George Monger was sent off in the dying embers, after a second bookable offence, as the Hillians successfully held out for the victory.

FT 2-1.

The Hillians MOTM was awarded to Pat Harding, who, as ever, gave an industrious performance – topping it off with a goal. Nonetheless, Ian Chapman will bound to be pleased with his whole sides performance, with Franzen-Jones, Barker, and Bromage all impressing in their first competitive starts of the season.

Many thanks to all you Hillians who made the journey to Faversham, your efforts so far this season have been excellent, and are massively appreciated by everyone at the club.