The Official Website of Burgess Hill Town Football Club - Members of the Bostik League Premier Division

Hillians Run Out Of Steam

The Hillians came into the fixture on the back of two good performances and results, against Wingate & Finchley and Dulwich Hamlet – picking up four points from a possible six. Ian Chapman made two changes from the side who drew against Dulwich Hamlet, with captain, Gary Elphick, and Pat Harding recalled to the starting XI.

Enfield Town came into this fixture on the back of a last gasp equaliser against the league leaders, Billericay Town, and instantly took this momentum into the opening exchanges. In the 5th minute, the visitors thought they’d taken an early lead, but Wynter was correctly flagged offside, as he poked the ball past James. It was the visitors who took the lead on 16 minutes, as Wynter rolled Diallo, and somewhat fortunately scuffed his effort past James into the bottom corner. The Hillians were yet to get a foothold in the game, as the pace and power of the Enfield front four continued to cause problems. However, it was the Hillians who grabbed the next goal, as Lee Harding’s teasing cross evaded everyone, and beat Wright at the far

post. The well travelled Simon Thomas had the last laugh of the half, as he rose highest at the back post, to head home past the helpless Josh James, to give the visitors a 2-1 lead going into the break.

HT 1-2.

Ian Chapman introduced Aaron Smith-Joseph at half time, and the direct nature of the wide man instantly gave the visitors some early food for thought. Goalkeeper, Wright was twice on hand to punch clear Tighe’s testing deliveries. The Hillians began to push bodies forward in search of an equaliser, but unfortunately made themselves susceptible to a counter attack, and it was exactly that which saw the visitors take a two goal lead, as Ryan Blake was on hand to poke home from close distance on 54 minutes. But the Hillians didn’t stop battling, as 4 minutes later, Smith-Joseph’s delivery, which appeared to be comfortable for Wright, wasn’t held, and Brivio was on hand to stab home. Deja vu struck once again for the Hillians, as another sharp counter attack from the visitors, saw Thomas slot Greene’s driven cross past Josh James, and into the bottom corner. The Hillians continued to throw everything at Enfield, but their experienced back line held firm, and managed to see the game out – and leave the Green Elephants Stadium with all three points.

A disappointing evening for the Hillians, as they just weren’t able to match the levels of performance they reached in recent fixtures. It doesn’t get much easier for the Hillians, as Thursday evening sees Leatherhead visit the GES (7:30 kick off), to conclude 6 games in 17 days, in which has proven to be an extremely physically demanding period.

We have four games remaining in our season, and every single point could prove crucial – come and support the football club!



Related News